The following letter was highlighted in the Los Angeles Times today (December 3, 2016). It does reflect my opinion.
Congratulations to those of you who voted for President-elect or failed to vote because you weren’t happy with the choices. (“Trump to preside over the richest Cabinet in U.S. history“,Dec. 1)
You didn’t get Hillary Clinton, but here’s what we all got:
- Possibly the loss of health insurance for more than 20 million people and the loss of Medicare or Medicaid benefits to millions of the poor or elderly.
- A potential Environmental Protection Agency administrator who doesn’t believe in climate change.
- A billionaire who has never attended a public school as the next Education secretary.
- A former Wall Street banker as the next Treasury secretary.
- Another billionaire affectionately known as the “king of bankruptcy” as the next Commerce secretary.
But don’t worry. Trump said he wouldn’t be controlled by Wall Street or special interests. He said he owes no favors to anyone. Still, we know he will never fully separate himself or his family from the wealth he has amassed. We know that he will continue to profit from his overseas holdings, whether directly or into the pockets of his children. We know that his own interests could put our country in danger.
How do we know? Because about the only truth Trump has ever uttered is that winning at any cost is all that matters to him. And now that he has been elected, to hell with the rest of us.
Terrie McKinley, Aliso Viejo